Edenderry is in north County Offaly and the Grand Canal runs along the south of Edenderry, through the Bog of Allen. Edenderry was established in medieval times and the ruins of Blundell Castle can still be seen with the new water tower adjacent on Blundell Hill.
The castle shows phases from the early fifteenth century to the end of the seventeenth century when Edenderry House was constructed.
The 2nd Marquess of Downshire is responsible for building the layout of much of the historic core of the present town in the 1800s with its pleasant layout, fine town houses, all provided with gardens.
The keystones and entrance arches are a feature of the streetscape. There is an imposing statue of the Marquis of Downshire (1788-1845) looking down the Church Walk in the Church of Ireland grounds.
The ruins of the 12th century Anglo Norman castle at Monasteroris are on private land but can be seen from the road just outside Edenderry driving towards Rhode. It was built by the Anglo Norman family, the Berminghams. One of the Bermingham’s sons founded the Franciscan Friary in 1325. The ruins of the Friary are adjacent to the road with public access. The graveyard contains some of the earliest carved headstones in the county from the late 17th and early 18th centuries.
Today Edenderry is a busy midlands town and it is the second biggest town in the county. The town, situated on the Grand Canal is an ideal spot for course fishing, walking/cycling the Offaly way from Dublin through Kildare and all of Offaly to join the Shannon at Shannon harbour.